Winter Wonderland

December 27th, 2013 wrpete17

I’ve been reluctant to write a post for nearly a month now.  In my defense, over the course of the past two weeks I’ve been reluctant to do anything that involves any amount  of “brain strain.” I take break seriously. My days have been filled with generous amounts of reading, sleeping, eating, and relaxing with my family and friends. To give you an idea of what i consider to be a perfect day, I’ll tell you about last Sunday. I woke up early (for as much as I may want to, I cannot sleep in. Because of this, afternoon naps are king.) and just laid in bed for an hour or so. Then I rolled out of bed and transplanted my lazy self to a recliner downstairs.   I downloaded a book on my iPad, John Green’s Looking for Alaska, and spent the morning devouring half of the book, a bowl of oatmeal, and numerous cups of tea.  Then I tore myself away from Green’s page turner and went on a hike with Greg, my Canadian friend from high school who goes to the University of British Columbia. After the hike, I read a bit more then went to Mass and dinner with my Dad. Following the magnificent time with my Dad, I returned to the recliner to finish the book only to fall asleep a few pages in and mid-sentence. I had 25 pages to go but I couldn’t keep my eyes opened. Somehow I ended up in my bed (Thanks Dad).

1510498_253212934851966_849253778_n

Chilling with Greg

A week ago, I was still on campus at Holy Cross. To be exact, I had just handed in my Chemistry final.  I wish I could have done better on the exam but all I really wanted to do at that point was get home.  A storm was brewing and hit on Saturday night and my flight which was scheduled to depart at 8:30 on Sunday morning was in jeopardy. I was nervous! I’ll have you know that nearly every New Englander I told about my itinerary laughed. The majority pessimistically said there was no way my flight was gonna take-off due to the storm. Well, my flight did take-off. So there, negative New Englanders!

Holy Cross, covered in snow

After my Chemistry final, my brain switched to standby. For as desolated as campus was at this point, there were several guys still on my floor, including my roommate Luis, whose flight home to the Philippines didn’t leave Logan until two on Sunday. Walking back to Wheeler, I saw Blaze. I was bummed to see Blaze! Blaze had left for Logan four hours ago for his flight back to CA. Virgin had delayed the flight indefinitely for 24 hours. Moral of the story: Southwest rocks!

Even the though the only thing I wanted to do was go home, I had one of my best nights on campus to date. Me, Blaze, and a couple of girls from New Jersey took a Zipcar to Flying Rhino, a restaurant on Shrewsbury Street. We celebrated the successful completion of our first semester of college with great food and even better conversation. We got back to the winter wonderland that was Holy Cross around 8:30. I decided it’d be a good idea to start packing. My haphazard throwing of clothes into a duffel was interrupted when Luis and Umberto made an  offer I couldn’t refuse. The two of them had jacked three trays from Lower Kimball and had scouted out the best of the many hills on the Hill when they asked me to join them sledding. We had a blast! We stayed out until almost midnight when we decided to go in because our clothes were drenched and we were freezing. I figured with my shuttle picking me up at 4:30, I had better get some sleep.

Blaze and his homemade snowboard

My travel day was unbelievable really. My alarm went off at four.  I walked out of Wheeler to find an accumulation of nearly a foot of snow. Knight’s wouldn’t pick me up at Wheeler so a snowy walk to Hogan 3 was a must. I got into the van to find it full of other Crusaders, the majority of which were on my flight. I had to hand it to the shuttle driver. We slipped and slided most of the way to the Mass. Pike and yet he still managed to get us to Logan safely and promptly.  Now for the flight.  As if by a miracle, we boarded on-time. The entire forty minutes we spent taxiing and waiting to take-off on the tarmac, the ground crew was spraying the plane with deicer. I’d never seen anything like it. And then those two wheels lifted off the runway.  As far as I was concerned I was as good as home.

I want to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  I hope your holiday season has been filled with joy, light, and hope.  God bless you all and thank you for reading.

Colourful 2014 in fiery sparklers

One Response to “Winter Wonderland”

1. Jungoh Lee says:

The campus looks amazing in snow! It is a winter wonderland indeed. Thanks for posting Will!