Tahoe Time

June 30th, 2014 wrpete17

At around 5:00 EST on Friday, May 9th, after handing in my Organic Chemistry I Final I vowed to think about chemistry as little as possible until I begin the second semester of the course this fall. I was much too quickly, and rather ironically, unsuccessful at avoiding chemistry, namely, three elements in particular: carbon, hydrogen and nitrogen. After going a year at Holy Cross with my roommate Luis watching it on Netflix, many of my friends raving about it in and out of class, and then, finally, my English teacher commenting about the quality of Bryan Cranston’s Walter White as a complex character, I decided to watch the pilot of Breaking Bad soon after returning home for the summer. In part due to my immense need for rest after a rigorous semester and the addictiveness of Breaking Bad’s methamphetamine (C10H15N) driven plot, I finished the entire series, all 62 episodes, within two weeks.

breaking-bad-season-5-photos-4

Breaking Bad’s Walt and Jesse kickin’ it after a cook

This post is way overdue. And although I could blame Heisenberg, the great books I’ve been reading, my job lifeguarding, or my family and friends for occupying all my time all I can say is that I’m currently living on Tahoe Time. Tahoe Time dictates that things that could be done today can also be done, just as well, tomorrow. And so life has gone on up here in my favorite place on the planet, Lake Tahoe, California. Like I said, I started and finished Breaking Bad, keeping up with 24: Live Another Day (Jack is back!), and, against my better judgment I’ve started and am totally gripped by House of Cards. I’ve read some stellar books. Laura Hillenbrand’s Unbroken has undoubtedly been the highlight. It is a must-read story about a World War II POW if you haven’t already. I work as a lifeguard and swim lesson instructor at a local pool up here five days a week as well. Convinced I have the cushiest job I’ll ever have, I tell people it’s arduous work, but someone has to do it. I’ve also been making sure to spend lots of time with my family. I really missed the five (six, if you count Charlie, our labradoodle) this past year.  It’s been so nice to share meals, hike, float the Truckee River, and play Frisbee and baseball (Chukit!, for Charlie) with them.

My brother, sister and I ready to hit the Truckee River

I have had quite a bit of time to think back and reflect on my first year on the Hill at Holy Cross.  It went by so incredibly fast. Towards the end of the year, I started running up and down College Street to and from a nature trail that’s close by. Living in Wheeler Hall, I’d come and go via Gate 7. As I took my last run one morning during Finals Week, I ran through Gate 7 and felt as if it was just days ago that I sat with my Mom in our jam packed rental SUV on College Hill, waiting anxiously, to pull on to Holy Cross’s campus and move-in to Wheeler. I had an incredible year. I learned so much, a lot in the classroom, but more outside of it. I made some remarkable friends. Many of whom I’m really missing not seeing everyday this summer! We’ve done our best to keep in touch via Snapchat, text, email and the occasional phone call. Most of all, Holy Cross, over the course of a year, became a home. The community that is Holy Cross welcomed me in with open arms and now I feel as if I’m part of the family. Although I was very much ready to come back to California for the summer, I am looking forward to returning to the Hill this fall.

The last stateside Snap from Hannah, a friend who worked and studied at Holy Cross as a German Language Assistant this past year

Welcome to the Class of 2018!  You should be proud of yourselves. It took four years of hard work to get to where you are as an incoming Crusader. Enjoy your summers’ and rest-up in preparation for this Fall. Stay tuned for my very own Top 10 Things Every First Year Crusader Should Know coming soon.

Twitter_tease_2