Swimming > Calculus

October 28th, 2013 wrpete17

Earlier this evening, I was in Calculus Workshop working on my homework.  Due Friday,  I figured I’d just get it out of the way.  Then, I got a text from one of my buddies asking if I wanted to go swimming with him and some other friends of ours.  I thought he was kidding.  Swimming?!  At 8:00 on a Monday night?!  He was completely serious.  Swimming did sound like fun and there was always later for Calculus.  Right?  I went back to my dorm, threw on my suit and went up to the pool at the Hart Center.  It was great!  We all had a blast.  Floating around was quite refreshing.  And then the steam room and sauna to top it off…excellent!   Now, I’m hanging in Dinand Library curled up in my PJs trying to get some more work done before I call it a night.

This past weekend was Family Weekend.  My grandparents traveled all the way from California to spend the weekend with me.  It was so great to see them, spend time with them, and give them a taste of my life as a Crusader.  I had the opportunity to sing at Mass on Saturday afternoon.  The entire chapel was filled to the gills with people.  It was phenomenal.

It’s been a little over a week since I arrived back on campus from being on Fall Break.  I was lucky enough to get to go home back to California for the week.  It was really nice seeing my family.  Being home reminded me that from now on I am a visitor.  Home is still home.  But I’m only visiting.  After that week I went right back to HC and life on the Hill.

Coming back was great.  It’s hard to explain but it was as if being home reassured me of the fact that my family is not going anywhere, they’ll always love me, and it’s my job to make the most of my time here at Holy Cross.  I returned to campus with a newfound desire to fully immerse myself into the Holy Cross community.  Although it was harder to leave home now then it was in August, I arrived back on campus to find others who were eager to be present and experience Holy Cross together.  Despite the fact that I miss home and my family, I know HC is exactly where I need to be.

That’s it for now.  I do need to do some of that Calculus.  Thank you for reading.