Time is Flying

October 13th, 2013 wrpete17

At this very moment I am 35000 feet above sea level flying home for Fall break. It’s been a long day already.  For once, my roommate’s alarm woke us up this morning.  Most days it’s my alarm that goes off at six.  His shuttle to the airport left at 5, mine left at 5:50.  We’ve both been going since4. In less than three hours I’ll be back in Sacramento.  I am so excited to be home and see my family.

Last weekend was Homecoming at Holy Cross.  One of the guys I row with, Ben,  invited me to tailgate with his family before the football game. Ben’s parents met each other sophomore year in a computer science class here at HC.  It was really neat to see his parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins there at the tailgate together, all of them bleeding purple.  Ben’s family and the many other alumnus at the tailgate were evidence of the strong community and family that is rooted in Holy Cross.  I feel honored to be a new member of this family.

Emails.  Holy Cross sends lots of emails.  I would be slightly worried if I didn’t have at the very least 10 new emails from various offices on campus by noon each day.  It’s tempting to just delete the majority of these emails without a second glance at the subject line.  But, if I do that there’s a chance I might miss out on some cool opportunity. Was it not one of these emails that informed me about the chance to join the novice crew team?  So I take the time to open all of these “opportunity” emails.  Two weeks ago I opened one from Dean Kramer, Dean of the Class of 2017, informing me of the chance to join Father Boroughs, the President of the College, on a field trip to Higgins Armory on the following Tuesday.  Why not?  In fact, that sounded like an awesome way to spend an afternoon! I immediately RSVP’ed “Yes” and this past Tuesday, Father Boroughs, about 15 other students went to the Armory together.  The Higgins, which is unfortunately closing in December, contains our nation’s largest collection of medieval armor and weaponry.  This stuff is hard core.  Actually used in battle, some of the armor was dented.  I’m glad I got to see weapons behind glass as opposed to having them wielded at me.  Thankfully, a good portion of the Higgins collection is being moved to the Worcester Art Museum for all to enjoy for years to come.  Although, if you get the chance within the next two months I would strongly suggest going to the museum and seeing this impressive collection there.

With Autumn in the air, the days have been beautiful and busy on the Hill.  From concerts in Brooks, to talks in Rehm, to service at the Salvation Army, to mass in Mary Chapel, to rowing on Lake Quinsigamond, to meals in Kimball, to late nights in Dinand.  Did I even mention going to class?!  Don’t worry, I wouldn’t miss it.

And just like that, the first quarter’s down.  15 more to go.  I plan on making the most of each and every one of them.